Archive for May, 2009
Here are some minor news bits that you may be interested in:
- T-Mobile G1 makes Top 5 Smartphone Ranking. With over a million handsets sold on one carrier only, the G1 has launched the Android platform into the mainstream. In fact the other day I had to chase someone down at work that had accidentally picked up my G1 thinking it was theirs.
- The New Sidekick LX 2009 will be $249 for new Customers. Many of our Shadow users came from the Sidekick. What do you think about the new one?
- Dan Morrill at the Android Developers blog says there will be some surprises at Google I/O. Personally I’m hoping for multi-touch or a Live CD version of Android that can be customized with personal apps and can run on nearly any PC.
- Microsoft shows off some sneak-peeks of the Windows Marketplace for Windows Mobile. Looks depressingly like a jazzed up version of the Android Market. Can we please get desktop browsing with a ’send to my device’ button? Oh right! We have something like that in Our AllShadow Store! And it’s not as restricted either.
- Trent Reznor thinks we don’t exist, or rather that “nobody has an Android phone.” Are you reading this Trent? Put your iCrack down and smell the ions, Android is here…
Thanks to Mark D for sending a few of these in! Do you have news?
TMOToday has a forum thread showing a lineup of various upcoming T-Mobile phones. That tiny fuzzy picture above is the ‘Bigfoot’. It appears that the G1 is getting a make over in form factor to something we all hope is more right thumb friendly, a roundish design maintaining the slide-out QWERTY keyboard that resembles a giant tic tac. It’s hard to tell from the picture but hopefully that Blackberry-user bait of a trackball is missing and is hopefully replaced by a significantly more usable D-pad. But that’s just wishful thinking at this point.
Also of note is the price listed for the G2. It shows $179 while the G1 (v1) is shown at $149. It should go without saying that this is probably the 2-year contract price.
Thanks again Mark D!
Phandroid has a picture of a G1 with the Android Update 1.5 showing some of the major goodies we’ve been waiting for:
- Record and watch video with camcorder
- Directly upload videos to upload and watch personal playlists
- On-screen qwerty keyboard (it should support theming)
- Stereo Bluetooth (A2DP)
- Improved homescreen widgets including media control
- Native Picasa support (already available as a downloadable app from Google)
- Much more
Keep an eye on your G1’s and let us when you get an update!
Thanks to Mark D for sending this one in.
TmoNews has some screenshots of a monitor displaying an inventory display of T-Mobile phones. The ones we’re all excited about don’t have prices listed yet. As we’ve been rumoring the TouchPro 2 is listed, as is the Maple as the Dash 3G (Yes 3G!) and the MyTouch. You may have read earlier that the G2, aka HTC Magic, was having some different names tossed around, it seems that MyTouch is going to be the official name. MyTouch is listed with two colors: White and Merlot. Cheers!
Thanks again to Mark D for sending this in!
A recent filing showed up in the FCC for the Rhodium (Touch Pro2, Wing 2) showing T-Mobile’s 3G network. There’s a lot of excitement in T-Mobile’s corner lately and it seems the best is yet to come. For many long time loyal T-Mobile customers this is a welcome relief, especially for Windows Mobile fans. WM Professional generally has a wider range of applications than the Standard (non-touchscreen) version as well as more robust hardware (processors especially). So with July 22nd as the rumored release date this means that the Holidays will be coming sooner for all of us this year.
Thanks ND4SPD and XDA