Taking the Plunge: How To Update Your Shadow
I finally had some time to sit down and update my Shadow. I documented the process so if you haven’t already done it, here is a handy little guide to help walk you through it. Read the entire article before beginning.
First things first, you need to have a computer to do this, and on that computer you need either Activesync or Windows Mobile Device Center. If you are running Windows XP then get Activesync, if you are running Windows Vista with all its pretty colors then get Windows Mobile Device Center.
Once you have that installed, connect your Shadow with the USB sync cable that came in the box. If this is the first time you have done this follow the onscreen instructions and wait until the sync is completed. You want to do this because it creates a folder on your desktop of the files on your device.
If you use a storage card and encryption make sure you copy all your files OFF your storage card before performing this update. You will more than likely not be able to access those encrypted files after the update.
Now that you have performed a full sync and taken care of your files, remove the storage card from the phone so there aren’t any problems. Before beginning ensure there is at least 50% charge on the phone.
Go to the T-Mobile Shadow website and download the file you need to your desktop. NOTE: They will ask for your 15 digit IMEI number as well as provide you instructions on how to do find it. If your IMEI is longer than 15 digits just enter the first 15.
Okay let’s get started.
1. The Shadow has been synced, the files taken care of, the storage card removed, and a 50% charge on the battery.
2. Run the file you downloaded.
3. Click Next and the updater will begin doing its thing.
4. When that is done it will show this screen which basically warns you again that you are about to lost everything that was on the phone. Click on the little white box and then next.
5. This next screen will tell you again everything that we wrote earlier. It’s good to be redundant when accomplishing these types of tasks.
6. It will then verify the information on your Shadow.
7. The current software version will be shown. If it says you don’t need this update then hit cancel, otherwise click on the ‘Update’ button like 99% of every other Shadow owner.
8. At risk of being repetitive the Updater will again tell you what software version you have and which you are updating to. Click Next.
9. Just because they can, they will ask you to click Next again. Heed their warnings on this screen and try not to mess with your computer during this process. Also be sure to NOT disconnect the Shadow while this is happening. Your screen will change colors, show a rainbow, the phone will make a noise or two and it will sound like it is no longer connected to your computer.
If during this install you get a message saying it failed. Simply remove the battery from your Shadow for about 30 seconds, replace it, connect to your PC and try again. These things happen sometimes, it’s not the end of the world.
When you are ready to make the big jump click Next.
10. Once it begins you will see these images on your PC. It shows the progress. Once it reaches 100% DO NOT disconnect your Shadow. The Updater will tell you when it’s finished. If you have a slower computer or a faster computer, just wait. If an hour goes by then maybe you can start worrying. If that happens you can always run the updater again or hard reset the Shadow. But if less than 20 minutes have passed, be patient.
EDIT NOTE: At this point your Shadow will begin doing it’s own thing. Just for this update the load up time will be anywhere from 2 minutes to ten minutes while it reinstalls software and new software. Don’t mess with it during this time. It will restart itself at least once during this process.
11. Now you can break out the celebratory beverages and start setting your newly flashed Shadow back up again. Some settings have been changed so you’ll need to go back through them. One setting that completely messed me up several times is the Slide setting. You might want to change this first thing. Go to Start > Settings > Slide and Key Lock > and change the ‘Hang up Mode’ back to ‘End Key Only’ otherwise you will unwittingly hang up on your friends, family, coworkers and IRS agents (unless of course you like to do this sort of thing, then by all means leave it be).
Congratulations! You have now updated your Shadow’s Software with the new ROM. Now you can take some time and visit our forums, make some changes, add some software from our store and enjoy your Shadow.
No related posts.