Archive for December, 2007
We have been working to make interacting with AllShadow.com as mobile friendly as possible. We are proud to present the ability to view the forums in a mobile friendly format. We are still working on the ability to post from the Shadow in a convenient way so stay tuned.
In order to see the mobile friendly forums point your Shadow to http://www.allshadow.com/forum/mo
You should see a screen similar to the above image, select “T-Mobile Shadow Forums”
The next screen should look like this. Select “Everything Shadow”
This third screen is the one you want to add to favorites. Select Menu > Add to Favorites > Add. Now you will be able to check up on your most recent posting in the forums!
Many wonder if Facebook and MySpace can be accessed from the Shadow. The answer is a resounding ‘YES’. Both MySpace and Facebook have a mobile site that gives limited functionality but still allows you to post updates and blog postings from your phone.
For Facebook go to m.facebook.com
For MySpace go to mobile.myspace.com
The MySpace mobile page has more functionality but the Facebook interface allows for immediate status update and a summary of your friends’ activities right on the front page. Enjoy!
For those of you with a Bluetooth GPS unit that want to see how well it is working, or just want basic information, there is a freeware available from Chartcross Ltd called GPS Test that works very well on the Shadow. You can download it from their site. Setup is easy, just transfer to your device, install and open the application.
I used it to determine how well my GlobalSat BT Gps was working before getting Live Search to connect. GPS Test shows signal strength, satellite view, current location, heading, speed, etc.
There is a webservice, called scanR, that allows you to send/upload pictures via email and it automatically converts to PDF, performs word recognition and creates txt and doc files as well. One of the requirements is a camera phone with at least 2MP camera, which the Shadow has! The service is free for now and is very handy for students and professionals that need to capture those lengthy notes on whiteboards or to copy a friends notes or business card.
To use it take a picture of:
- a whiteboard
- a document
- a business card
If you want to check it out right away, fire up the camera on your Shadow, make sure the resolution is 2MP and your send resolution is ‘full size’ (Start > Pictures and Video > Menu > Options > General ) In a well lit room, take a picture of a document and send it off to email@example.com . You don’t need anything in the subject or body of the email. After a moment you will get a message back with further instructions.
AMALA, one of our fellow Shadow users, had the unfortunate experience of dropping their phone into water. Luckily they did the smart thing and saved their Shadow and themselves a lot of money.
If you have soggy Shadow:
- Immediately pull the battery cover off and remove the battery. This takes away the power source, and we all know electricity and water do not mix.
- Using a lint free cloth, dry as much of the water as possible.
- Pull out your SIM card and Memory card, put them on a paper towel in a safe place.
- Open up all the little covers: memory card, power/mini-usb.
- Open the slide (dry this off too).
- Get a nice big gallon Ziploc and fill it part way with rice (uncooked ).
- Put your Shadow in it.
- Fill up more with Rice
- Set it somewhere safe. Every couple of hours or so shake up the bag to get dry rice next to the Shadow.
- If you live in an arid (dry) environment it is okay to leave the bag open, it will help dry faster.
- If you live in a humid environment I suggest leaving the Ziploc closed so the rice only has to deal with the moisture in the Shadow.
- For best results keep the Shadow in the rice for about 48 hours for maximal effect.
- Put the battery back in, cross your fingers and power it on.
This method is a lot safer than the oven method which ends up cooking a lot of phones because we all have attention problems